2013-2014 Ram 2500/3500 S&B Air Filter Test and Tech
Ram Trucks has added a pretty cool feature to 2013 and 2014 Ram 2500 and 3500s: a swing gate that allows cool, fresh, air to be drawn in through the grille and into the engine called Ram Active Air. This gate actuates at high air temp, high altitude, and/or high load conditions. This is especially helpful when towing heavy loads, as the cooler air coming in will result in lower exhaust gas temperature exiting the engine.
The aftermarket has been quick on the draw to capitalize on such a good idea, and S&B Filters just announced it has an intake that incorporates the factory active-air system, while providing excellent filtration and an increase in airflow over the factory version. The stock turbocharger has also been de-muffled and creates a cool compressor whistle under acceleration.
We followed along as one of S&B Filters’ technicians installed the company’s intake kit on a 2013 Ram 2500.
|S&B ISO 5011 Test Synopsis|
|75-5068 Intake with Cleanable Filter|
|Airflow Rating:||Improves airflow versus stock by: 29.3 percent through side inlet, 43.8 percent through front (Ram-Air) inlet, and 54.6 percent with both inlets open on S&B intake|
|Efficiency Rating:||99.55 percent efficient at 580 cfm (ISO coarse dust)|
|75-5068D Intake with Dry Filter|
|Airflow Rating:||Improves airflow versus stock by: 29.9 percent through side inlet, 42.1 percent through front (Ram-Air) inlet, and 51.7 percent with both inlets open on S&B intake|
|Efficiency Rating:||99.49 percent efficient at 580 cfm (ISO coarse dust)|
01. S&B technician Richard Ornelas walked us through the filter system install on the new Ram 2500. First, he disconnected the batteries for safety.
02. Next, Ornelas unplugged and removed the sensors off the old intake, so they could later be installed on the S&B unit.
03. The factory airbox was disconnected from the radiator core support and turbo inlet and was lifted up, but not out, to gain access to the swing-gate motor.
04. Here, you can see the factory wiring being unplugged from the motor, so it could be disconnected from the stock airbox.
05. With the airbox removed, the Ram’s dual air inlet system can be seen. Under normal operation, air is sucked through the side inlet in the fender, but under hot weather conditions underhood heat is a concern, and the front ram-air inlet is utilized.
06. The S&B Filters intake system incorporates the factory motor so no check engine codes will be thrown, and so the system operates just like it does from the factory -- but with vastly increased flow.
07. After installing the motor, the inside gate and block-off were installed. This gate will swing back and forth to activate the ram air, or the door can be removed to allow access to both air inlets, which provides a whopping 54.6 percent increase in flow.
08. The S&B airbox was then installed in the factory position, along with a full round inlet radius filter (oiled or dry versions are available) that provides better airflow and filtration capabilities.
09. Once the airbox was installed, the intake hose was again connected to the turbocharger, and the engraved top cover was bolted down. Custom engravings are also available at an additional cost.
10. We took our Ram 2500 for a spin around the block and were impressed with the sound and performance of the S&B system. This truck was also equipped with a monitoring light, which illuminates once the ram-air system is activated. It’s a nice touch and is available on all S&B ram-air kits for the 2013 to 2014 Ram HD trucks.
S&B FiltersOntario, CA 91761