RAM Mounts Laptop Solution
Turn Your Truck Into A Mobile Office
We know there are a number of our readers that use their trucks for more than just a daily driver or showpiece. We have met plenty of you out there that use your trucks for work in construction, vehicle transport towing, oil fields, and even search and rescue. For those of you that use your trucks as a mobile office while performing your daily tasks, there comes a time when you just want a way to integrate your work needs better than vehicle manufacturers ever planned. The term that first comes to mind is, "A place for everything, and everything in its place." We have a solution that fits the bill perfectly.
During our extensive research on products to customize our Master Lock Ultimate Work Truck, we came across plenty of helpful items to stuff in the Ford F-150's interior that would help the working man get his jobs done right. Since today's business moves at the speed of light, we discussed the need for a computer to be mounted in the truck's interior and found the perfect solution from RAM Mounts in Seattle, Washington. RAM has created a low cost, shock and vibration resistant mounting system with a large selection of vehicle-specific bases. The mount allows nearly any laptop to be mounted securely in a truck with a myriad of adjustable angles to create the best ergonomic layout as chosen by you. RAM laptop mounts are military endorsed, made in the USA, and carry a lifetime warranty…that's saying something!
The No-Drill laptop stand installed quickly and easily using the existing hardware from the passenger seat rail. This configuration provided plenty of articulation for driver and passenger alike, thanks to the ball and socket swivel, and dual swing arms. Four spring-loaded retaining arms allowed us to transport any laptop in the Tough-Tray Laptop Cradle between ten and sixteen inches wide. That's a 17-inch widescreen for those doing the math. Check out how simple it was for us to equip the Ultimate Work Truck with the ultimate laptop mount from RAM Mounts.
1. RAM Mounts' sturdy, vehicle-specific floor mount was made from thick gauge steel and powdercoated in a textured charcoal finish that blended seamlessly into the Ford's carpet. The vertical tube was for the Tele-Pole assembly.
2. We removed both of the front mounting bolts from the passenger seat and loosened the rear to allow the seat a bit of room to rock back and forth.
3. As you can see, the No-Drill base was clearly labeled. It slipped right into position between the seat mount risers and the floor.
4. Reusing the original hardware, all four seat bolts were tightened, compressing the No-Drill base securely between the seat and floor.
5. All the magic resides in the adjustable Tele-Pole. We chose to install both swinging arms to maximize the available range of motion for the Tough-Tray Cradle. Adjustments in height, tray angle, and proximity were all easily controlled with the three hand knobs.
6. RAM designed this rubber ball and socket joint on the underside of the cradle for maximum angle adjustment as well as shock and vibration isolation while the truck is in motion.
7. A wide range of adjustment is afforded by the Tough Tray Cradle mounts to accommodate nearly any laptop and prevent blocking of necessary ports and drives. The left side of the cradle is spring-loaded and slides out to allow different size computers to be dropped in place with ease.
8. To power our laptop, we installed this 750-watt power inverter from Harbor Freight. With two outlets, a USB port, and short circuit protection, the F-150 will have endless capability.