We’ve been very lucky to have the ’13 F-150 in the Truckin stables for the last five years. It’s got the looks, thanks to the stance and custom paint from LGE-CTS, it gets around pretty well with all the Banks products bolted up to the 3.5L Ecoboost, and it transports us in comfort courtesy of the Roadwire leather seats and Alpine sound system. But one thing that never happened to our flagship project is the bed treatment. Under the Gaylord’s lid is nothing but a scratched-up, dirty bed floor. We do use the truck to haul a lot of stuff around, namely all the parts you see in all the other tech stories we do here in the magazine. When we took our “before” photo for this story, it was Christmastime, so the truck served as tree hauler and decoration picker-upper. It was time to get the bed area looking as good as the rest of the truck.
BedRug is a tried and true way to clean up your bed area and is almost a household name. But it is actually a pretty innovative truck bedliner. You get the look and comfort of carpet, but it is actually an ultra-tough 100-percent polypropylene (read: plastic) product. It has a ¾-inch cushioned floor, so it’s easy on the knees, and it keeps your cargo from sliding around. It’s waterproof as well as chemical- and stain-resistant, and you can simply rinse it with a mild cleaner and water and let it air dry if it gets dirty. It’s even made in the U.S.A. But our favorite feature of the BedRug is that it’s molded to fit your specific truck and fits like a glove.
Follow along as we perform a one-man installation in just a few hours. And check out the BedRug website to see what’s available for your truck.
| The bed of the Truckin F-150 was not looking good as of late. We treated it like a work truck, and with the Gaylord’s lid, it was easy to just close it up and forget about it. It was time to get it looking good again.
| Once we cleaned everything out of the bed—most of which didn’t need to be there in the first place—we hit the DIY car wash and gave the whole bed area a good scrubbing and rinsing.
| Back at the TEN Tech Center, we dried out the bed and were ready for an installation.
| Our BedRug, #BRQ04SBK for a Super Cab 6.5-foot bed, came rolled up in a box. The first thing we did was unpack it and zip the side sections to the bottom.
| Then we laid the whole BedRug in the sun to soften it up while we tended to the bed. It was a windy day, so we had to improvise.
| The tank for the water-meth injection system had to be removed. The clamps simply bolt through the bed and the ¼-inch line runs through a rubber grommet.
| There were also these tie-down brackets in all four corners that needed to be removed.
| Suprisingly, with the whole Gaylord’s clamp hinge system in place, only the lower strut mount had to be loosened up to make room for the BedRug.
| Finally. We wiped the entire bed area down with Eastwood’s PRE. We rewiped the area toward the back as we worked our way back.
| With the BedRug softened up, we followed the directions for installing the Velcro fasteners. The soft side is sewn to the BedRug in all the right places. Then we added the adhesive-backed strips in all the right places.
| We added the strips to the bottom, bulkhead, and tailgate of the BedRug first.
| Then we added in the sides before beginning to testfit the liner in place.
| When everything was in place, we started the sticking-down process by rolling up each side of the bottom and peeling the adhesive backing. When we rolled it down, the Velcro stuck in place. We pushed down hard on each area for a few seconds before moving on.
| The bulkhead was next. We leaned it down, pulled the adhesive, and smoothed it into place.
| The sides are long and have some shape to them, so we started in the front corner and worked our way back to the tailgate a couple feet at a time. There were sections where we had to be extra careful not to stick it while we were tucking it behind the Gaylord hinges, but it wasn’t too difficult.
| Once we got to the rear, we carefully wrapped the stake pocket.
| With the right side smoothed into place, we repeated our process on the left.
| The tailgate was last to be laid down. There was a little trickery involved.
| The adhesive doesn’t stick to the plastic all that well, so we lined the top edge up just below it on the metal.
| We did a little poking around (literally) to find our holes to replace the tie-down brackets.
| Then we buzzed them back in place.
| We did the same with the tank clamps. We later added a ½-inch spacer to the front ones to make up for the thickness of the BedRug.
| And with that, we were done. We now had a respectable bed area that looked nice and was functional for hauling duties. We don’t even need to keep it hidden if we take the truck to a show!