First Look: 2008 Scion xB and 2008 Scion xD
For Scion, change is goodFebruary 7, 2007
Toyota launched its Scion division with the 2004 xA and xB, two reconstituted Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) models that resonated with manga-obsessed American youth. The promise was that Toyota would replace the cars with all-new, different models. A third model, the tC coupe, launched for '05, and became its most popular contributor to 170,000-plus annual sales. After four model years, it's time to replace the xA and xB with...cars that look similar to the xA and xB, albeit less JDM. The xA gets a new name, xD. It's based on the Toyota Yaris, and looks ready to take on the Honda Fit, which was imported here mainly to compete with the Scion xA and xB. The xB is much larger and on a new platform, Toyota says. Details:
2008 Scion xB
- Previewed by the t2B ("tall, two-box") concept from the 2005 New York Auto Show.
- But with four conventional doors; the t2B had suicides on the driver's side and one big sliding door on the passenger side.
- Designed in California, and looks it.
- 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (rated 160 horsepower in the tC).
- Five-speed manual or four-speed ECT automatic with sequential shift.
- 16-inch wheels with JDM family car wheelcovers, to encourage buyers to upgrade to custom wheels.
- All-new platform.
- On-sale late spring.
2008 Scion xD
- 1.8-liter four, rated 130 horsepower in the Corolla.
- Five-speed manual or four-speed ECT automatic.
- 16-inch wheels.
- On-sale late summer.