General Motors Slashes Q1 2009 Production Volume by 250,000 Units
December 12, 2008
General Motors has announced it will scale back production for the first quarter of 2009 to the tune of 250,000 units -- a reduction that will affect 14 U.S. plants, three Canadian plants, and three Mexican plants. GM cites sales that have declined 41% in 2008 versus the previous year as well as the predicted industry slump in 2009 as the reason for the production cuts.
GM is currently facing a possible bankruptcy following the Senate's rejection of a proposed $14 billion bailout that would provide the automaker with loans to keep the company alive through the end of the month. It was reported yesterday that GM has finally hired legal counsel to advise in the case of bankruptcy.
Below are the details from GM regarding the plants and vehicles affected.
The following U.S., Canada and Mexico operations impacted by today's announcement include:
- Ft. Wayne (Ind.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Light Duty Regular and Extended Cab
- Flint Assembly (Mich.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Heavy Duty Regular and Crew Cab & Medium Duty
- Wentzville (Mo.) - Chevy Express, GMC Savanna
- Lansing Delta Township (Mich.) - Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook
- Pontiac Assembly (Mich.) - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Heavy Duty Extended Cab
- Spring Hill (Tenn.) - Chevy Traverse
- Fairfax Assembly (Kan.) - Chevrolet Malibu/Hybrid, Saturn Aura/Hybrid
- Arlington Assembly (Texas) - Full Size SUVs: Chevy Suburban, Tahoe & Tahoe Hybrid, GMC Yukon, Yukon XL & Yukon Hybrid, Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV & Escalade Hybrid
- Lansing Grand River (Mich.) - Cadillac STS & CTS
- Orion (Mich.) - Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6
- Detroit-Hamtramck (Mich.) - Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS
- Shreveport (La.) - Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, HUMMER H3 & H3T
- Bowling Green (Ky.) - Chevy Corvette, Cadillac XLR
- Wilmington (Del.) - Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Opel GT
- Oshawa Consolidated - Chevy Impala
- Oshawa Truck - Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra Light Duty Extended and Crew Cab
- CAMI - Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent
Source: General Motors