Rod Hall Enters 42nd-Straight Baja 1000, BFGoodrich Tires Looks for 23rd Victory in 24 Years
November 16, 2009
Off-road legend Rod Hall will be entering his 42nd Baja 1000 this week, which will put his participation streak at 42 consecutive Baja 1000s. Hall is the only competitor to have entered and competed in every Baja 1000 since its inaugural race in 1967, but this year, he is more focused on supporting his sons and the Rod Hall Racing team.
In 2009, Chad Hall will once again be behind the wheel of the Hummer H3 Alpha, competing in the Stock Full class. Chad has taken the Stock Full title seven times, most recently winning at the 2007 and 2008 editions of the Baja 1000.
Josh Hall will be competing with Rod in the Stock Mini class at the helm of the RHR Hummer H3. Rod is going for his 20th Baja 1000 win, while Josh eyes his fifth class win.
The co-drivers for the team are Mike Winkel and Emily Miller and the navigation crew includes Thad Stump, Sam Cothrun, Josh Ogg, and Dana Morris.
While the RHR team chases history, BFGoodrich will also be chasing their own mark. The tire manufacturer has been the victorious tire supplier 22 times in 23 tries, and is looking to further their success.
Since 1986, BFGoodrich has claimed all but one overall victory in the four-wheel division, with their lone blemish coming at the hands of Robby Gordon and Andy McMillin in their Toyo Tire-equipped Chevrolet in 2006.
Listed below are the 22 most recent winners riding on BFGoodrich rubber:
- 1986 – Mark McMillin/Ralph Paxton – Chenowth Porsche
- 1987 – Bob Gordon/Malcolm Smith – Chenowth Porsche
- 1988 – Mark McMillin – Chenowth Porsche
- 1989 – Robby Gordon – Ford Pickup
- 1990 – Bob Gordon/Robyn Gordon – Chenowth Pickup
- 1991 – Larry Ragland – Chevrolet Pickup
- 1992 – Paul Simon/Dave Simon – Ford Ranger
- 1993 – Ivan Stewart – Toyota SR5
- 1994 – Jim Smith – Ford Pickup
- 1995 – 1997 – Larry Ragland – Chevrolet Pickup
- 1998 – Ivan Stewart – Toyota Tundra
- 1999 – Larry Ragland – Chevrolet Pickup
- 2000 – Dan Smith/Dave Ashlye – Ford Pickup
- 2001 – Doug Fortin/Charlie Townsley, Jr. – Jimco Chevrolet
- 2002 – Dan Smith/Dave Ashley – Ford Pickup
- 2003 – Doug Fortin/Charlie Townsley, Jr. – Jimco Chevrolet
- 2004 – 2005 – Troy Herbst/Larry Roeseler – Smith Built Ford
- 2007 – Mark Post/Rob MacCachren/Carl Renezeder – Ford F-150
- 2008 – Roger Norma/Larry Roeseler – Ford F-150
Live tracking of the 2009 SCORE Baja 1000 will be available later this week through BFGoodrichTires.com.