Back in March, Toyota expanded its frame-related recall campaign for the 2000-2003 Tundra
as affected trucks arrived in droves across the nation with significant amounts of frame oxidation. With Toyota reeling from numerous recalls across its lineup, the Japanese automaker has extended the last-generation truck’s rust warranty through April 2012 and detailed the specifics of the replacement campaign.
| 2001 Toyota Tundra Side
According to a handy image available over at Tundra Headquarters
, the initial Tundra recall
was limited to three cross-bars in the middle and back of the trucks, one of which supports the spare-tire carrier located beneath the truck box. Now, the newer service campaign will cover the majority of the frame rails and a front cross-member as well. Impacted Tundras will receive a whole new frame which reputedly costs over $10,000 and requires over seven hours of labor to install.
| 2001 Toyota Tundra Front View
Distressed Tundra owners will need to be wary of specific service campaign details. Surface rust is not considered an endangerment and is therefore invalid under the campaign. Oxidation will need to cause holes in the frame that are larger than 10 millimeters in diameter in order to be eligible for replacement. Here are the details of the free frame replacement program, as explained by Tundra HQ:
- All 2000-2003 Tundras are eligible for frame replacement, regardless of their geographic location.
- The frame will only be replaced if perforation due to rust can be found, and only if that perforation is larger than 10mm in diameter. For reference, a marble is about 10mm across.
- Frames with perforation will be replaced free of charge, and a rental vehicle will be provided while the frame is being replaced.
- There is no mileage limitation, but the vehicle must be in otherwise good condition to qualify for a free frame replacement. Trucks with severe body damage, non-functional powertrains, and salvage vehicles are not eligible for this program.
- This program is available until April, 2012.
Check out the replacement graphics by hopping over to Tundra Headquarters. If you are affected by this campaign, visit your local Toyota dealer.
| 2000 Toyota Tundra front Drivers Three Quarters View